There are many reasons why you should buy fast 100mm prime lens:
- The Ideal Portrait Length – 100mm is the ideal portrait length because it maintains closeness to your subject without showing any distortion. Distortion, or lack thereof, is what is important to all photographers to ensure that things like noses don’t seem too big. Additionally, 100mm lenses tend to be very sharp and render the background out of focus in a way that is pleasing to the eyes. This is very useful when shooting headshots in the studio with subjects.
- Great for low light photography – with the wide aperture of f/2, especially going from your typical kit lens which is usually f/5.6, this lens gives you 3 stops or EIGHT times (2x2x2) more light coming through the lens opening. This allows you to use either a faster shutter speed and avoid camera shake, or a lower ISO and avoid the noise you get from higher ISOs, or a combination of both.
- Great value, low cost – at a price below $200 it might be the best choice for the first lens investment
- Great bokeh – prime lenses typically produce nicer bokeh (how the lens renders out of focus areas) than most zooms, and with the f2 aperture you can make some really nice bokeh. Bright lights, off in the background, twinkle with this little lens!
- Sharpness – prime or fixed focal length lenses are usually inherently sharper than zoom lenses, partly due to there being less moving parts inside the lens, and less lens elements. You will also experience increased sharpness due to the wider aperture which allows, as I mentioned above, being able to shoot at faster shutter speeds and lower ISO. Being able to get a fast enough shutter speed to eliminate camera shake, or freeze a moving subject has a lot to do with getting sharper images as does minimizing noise.
- It’s versatile – the 100mm lens is a great street shooting lens, not too wide, not too long. On a cropped or APS-C sensor (any non full frame camera body) it is also a great portrait lens, just long enough to remove distortion from your subject’s face and flatter them a bit more, not so long you need to stand across the street.
- Great for traveling – because it’s light weight, and is a fast lens (big aperture f/2) the 100mm is a great addition to your bag for trips. 100mm f2 fills the bill for low light photograph that the other zoom lenses can’t because of their aperture limitations.
YONGNUO 100MM F2 LENS FEATURES
- Telephoto lens designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, this lens can also be used with APS-C-format DSLR cameras where it will provide a 160mm equivalent focal length.
- The 100mm focal length when mounted on Full frame camera and the 9 blade aperture makes it ideal for a range of applications including portraiture.
- The bright f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in a variety of lighting conditions and also aids focus control for shallow depth of field imagery. F2 large aperture helps to separate the subject from background.
- Multi-coated glass elements increase contrast and maintain color accuracy by reducing flare and ghosting.
- An AF/MF switch on the lens barrel allows you to select focusing methods, with either setting allowing you to focus as closely as 0.9m away.
- Nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth out-of-focus quality when working with selective focus techniques.
- Compact, lightweight design makes it convenient to carry everywhere.
- Gold-plated electronic contacts convey EXIF data between camera and lens and also permit working M, Av, Tv, and P shooting modes.
- A great prime lens that is an excellent addition to the Canon EOS 18-55mm kit lens;